Geek Girl Witter: What's Up with More Series Set in the Same World?



This post idea came to me just now as I saw the new synopsis-slash-cover-slash-book trailer reveal of The Hair by Kiera Cass. If you haven't met the series yet, it's the story of America Singer, who is chosen to be one of the thirty-five candidates to be the prince's new wife a.k.a the princess. The girls have to go through a ton of tests and beauty hassle while being filmed and put out as a reality TV show. There are three books, all of which following America through the Selection. Now, in August, we got the news there would be one more book coming on May 5, 2014. It's about the winner (I won't tell who in case you have yet to read the One) and Maxon's child holding her own Selection twenty years later.

When I first read the article, I wasn't sure if that was such a good idea. Despite the hasty end The One got, it was still a kind of closure, the end of the series. It took some time to come to terms with it, but I eventually did. And then bum! To be continued.


Apart from my emotional outburst, my real problem is that I have serious doubts regarding the plot. The Elite and The One, but mainly The Elite was a tid bit lacking of it, but the unknown - or at least not very well known - world and down-going of the Selection kept me reading. However, those two ados became ruled out during the first three books and now we'll have to rely on the plot solely. Since we already know everything else, it has to be one heck of a story and characters, otherwise it will be unlikely to hold my attention for long. And based on my experiences so far, I wouldn't hold my breath over the prior (as rude as it sounds).

But of course, I am going to pick it up. My curiosity always gets the better of me and also, I love Kiare Cass's writing style to no end. *sigh*

On the bright side, I have a positive example too. Lady Midnight, the first book of The Dark Artifices by Cassandra Clare. I'm a huge fan of her writing and the Shadowhunter world, it's so complex and layered, exciting, and while there are certain returning schemes, her stories are always intricate and action-packed. What's more, I adored The Infernal Devices (her second series in the same world) even more than The Mortal Instruments; her writing is improving book by book.

Overall, what I need in order to enjoy more series set in the same world are 1. great story, 2. complex world-building and it won't hurt if it has relatable characters.


So what do you need to return to the same world with a different series? Are you anticipating any of the aforementioned books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ;)