ARC Review: The 100 Society by Carla Spradbery

18461109Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication:  September 4th 2014
Formats: Paperback
Pages: 317
Rating:
    

Add to Goodreads
Amazon  I  Kobo

For sixth-form student Grace Becker, The 100 Society is more than just a game; it's an obsession. Having convinced her five friends at Clifton Academy to see it through to the end, Grace will stop at nothing to carry out the rules of the game: tagging 100 locations around the city. With each step closer to the 100-mark they get, the higher the stakes become. But when the group catches the attention of a menacing stalker - the Reaper - he seems intent on exposing their illegal game, tormenting Grace with anonymous threats and branding their dormitory doors with his ominous tag.

As the once tight-knit group slowly unravels, torn apart by doubt and the death of a student, they no longer know who to trust.

With time running out, Grace must unmask the Reaper before he destroys everything she cares about for ever...

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you!


The 100 Society is basically a secret art club for talented teenagers. However, it's way more than just a 'club'. The 100 Society means privilige, prestage, an easy passage into the greatest colleges of Great Britain. However, getting into it is anything but easy. In order to score admission, you have to tag 100 places city-wise, some of which are very dangerous. And if you get caught... It's all worth it for Grace though. And Trick and Pete and Cassie, Ed and Faith. But when a mysterious attacker lurks in the shadows, blackmailing them, hurting them and converting their tags into their own, nothing is what it seems. Not even their friendship.

The 100 Society was a quick read. Not a particularly short one, but the fast pacing and the exquisitely arranged mystery pushed me forward in a rapid tempo. The characters were pretty good, too, and Trick was a major crush material.

The mystery. It really was spectacular. What a shame I hated it... Okay, that's not entirely true. Ot at least notas it is. I loved the way it led me on, for once. Everybody was suspicious, clues lay all over the place and there was't a person without a skeleton in the drawer. Secondly, I big asset, I would never have guessed the outcome. Which I sadly happened to hate. It was unexpected, genius and made sense quite well, but I hated it. So much, it almost ruined the whole experience for me. But still, while I can't say I was crept out, it was pretty good of a crime.

As for the characters, I adored all of their individuality. Seven teenagers, (I'm aware that only six are listed above. You have to read to know why. ;)) each of them is a perfect individual. I'm not saying they are free from the usual tropes (i.e. the clueless caring girl, the reckless, bad-ass guy, the prom queen, the wallflower, etc.), but I could relate them and for me, that was enough.

Overall, I do recommend this to anybody who loves crimes. It was only me who resented for the end. You might love it, so don't let me put you down. :)


Cover: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Predictability: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Pacing: 5/5
Romance: 3/5
Style/Writing: 5/5


Carla Spradbery
After working with teenagers for more than a decade, Carla decided to start writing for and about them. Having had a lifelong obsession with dark literature, it only seemed natural to write stories that would thrill, scare and maybe make her readers think twice about reading alone in the dark.

Carla lives in Hampshire with her husband and two children. She still enjoys working with teenagers, although she finds it harder and harder to understand why the music they like has to be quite so loud.

Her first novel, The 100 Society, will be published by Hodder in September 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ;)