Review: Allegiant (Divergent 3) by Veronica Roth

Gosh. I literally just finished the book and in regards to it I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to write a review at once. (Right now I'm out of my mind, being away from wandering around in the house sobbing and banging my had against every wall by only a thin hair.) Usually I prefer to do so but it's a bit different now. Well apparently I'll be doing it anyways so here you are.

Genre: Dystopia
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Published: October 22nd 2013
Pages: 526

Synopsis:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.



My thoughts: 



In my previoius review, on Insurgent, I complimented Roth for the un-worsening quality. Reluctantly, but I must take it back since althought it was very subtle, very tenuous but it was definitely there: it wasn't on the same level. The most crucial flaw what stole a little bit from experience was the elaboration. There were, quite marginal, but still plots which weren't worked out and that is, to my mind, strange, unusual, even oddish from Veronica Roth. Basically this was the only problem that showed up in many different ways. How the characters acted oddly, altered from how they usually act, how the regular little clues were missing, how there weren't enough action (and I'm not only implying to fights because the book wasn't lack of it but any kind of rather important movement. Though it was not boring, or too still but somehow it managed to be 'empty'.) One more wrong, which in my oppinion is worthy for being mentioned is that the character and their behaviour weren't as deeply thought thorough, weren't as real as they used to be. There was numerous not sufficely described demeanor, act, thought, they sometimes even seemed giddy. In fact, the disparity wasn't very conspicuous at the beginning but by the end of the book, it'd increased so much as if the author had just wanted to finished the story off finally so thus she'd rushed on an extremely high level and scribbled down the lines after one other, not really paying attention. The ending especially, but basically the whole book, was a little slack, huddled, not so carefully detailed, which I must admit, I really missed. 

Now that I summed up everything I wasn't completely satisfied with, I can move onto all the things I liked. Let's start with the ending. Many people form all over the review-world, younger and older, gal, and pal claim that Roth made a huge mistake with the ending and it is hideous. Terrible. Horrific. Whatever. 
However, I think...I think it' beautiful. Yes, it's not the kind of ending we usually get, and kind of nerve-wrecking and no, I'm not saying it makes me happy, but it's a gorgeous and beautiful, beautiful, beautiful closure. The way the last two or so chapter were written inflict strong, distinct emotions, but the epilogue was just delightful. Peaceful. We have all the peace we didn't obtain throughout the series. And now let's go back a little. The book had, of course, an abundance in fighting and action, although not as much as the previous books did, which gave the book what it takes to be suspenseful, although as I already mentioned it was still somehow empty a bit. Apart from this there were quite a few witty parts, which really threw up the mood. I'm fond of Roth's humor.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ DIVERGENT AND INSURGENT YET, YOU  MAY NOT WANT TO READ THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTION, BECAUSE IT MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ON CERTAIN CHARACTERS

Tris:


Tris finally got over her death-wish and fear of guns and became stronger and steadier and she became more selfless than ever. She changed a lot throughout the series and, I believe, to her benefit. Her main characteristics stayed the same as the ones she began the story with, but she evolved in many aspects and learned to tell what is good and what is bad in rather difficult situations. By the large, she grew up. By the end of the book she eventually determined where she belonhed to which was a really beautiful and important movement, if you remember how she was commuting among the factions, trying to decide what she was or was she any of them at all? I really liked her from the beginning no matter wheather she decided badly, or well or grieved or cheered. I think she was an amicable protagonist, not described exaggeratedly like a superheroine but a girl who is not afraid of making hard and selfless decisions, trying to do her best and not following other people but stand out form them. 


Tobias:


With getting his own POV we learnt about another side of him. A vulnerable side. He made several mistakes, big ones, but I don't think I ever loved him more than I did while reading this installment. We get to know a lot of information on his parent, his history, and why he did the things he did. And also how he looked at Tris. (At the very first time they met. Yay.) He became an entirely different person since he met Tris and aslo overcame his childhood's shadows. 


Caleb:


Caleb is a surprising person since the Choosing Ceremony. But in this book we learn more about the whys and I don't think there's more surprising than these incentives. I never liked him, to be honest, and so I didn't really feel anything when he betrayed Tris, but at the end I became a bit more lenient of him when he clarified the things he'd done.



Overall rating:    



Other books from the author:



You can find many other books from her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ;)