Review: Insurgent (Divergent 2) by Veronica Roth Review

Hey, guys! Today I will not be posting about a book that we are insanely looking forward to read but I'll be reviewing the second installment of the Divergent sequel, Insurgent by Veronica Roth.


Genre: Dystopia
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Published: May 1st 2012
Pages: 525

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if                                                                        she does not know what she may lose by doing so.




My thoughts:



There are many books whose installments aren't as good as the first book, the story gets boring, trite and you feel that it's about nothing. Why on Earth the author had to mess it up?
Well, this series is not one of them. To begin with, the simple sentences I was writing about in the review of the previous book, have completely disappeared and got replaced by long, well-thought, witty ones. The story stayed as elaborated as in the first book, with all the little movements and errant thoughts, larded with a few hilarious scenes along with such sad ones that it's very hard not to franticly rock in a corner of the room. I don't know how Roth's doing it, but although we get so many details, sometimes it's hard to process, the story line is fast, very rarely stops so as to provide us with even more information but in the rush of the otherwise very much action, sometimes I wanted to skip even these short hiatuses so that I could jump to the next fight, battle, or some sort of  movement, and these times I had to remind myself that this information is important, it's part of the story and got myself to go back and read it. I can't say that the everything throughout the book is utterly unexpected but there are surprising acts and it's definitely suspenseful.


IF YOU HAVEN'T READ DIVERGENT YET, YOU  MAY NOT WANT TO READ THE FOLLOWING TEXT, IT MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ON CERTAIN CHARACTERS


As for Tris, we get to know a completely different side of her. A vulnerable side, which is broken by all the deaths she has seen and desperately needs caring and cherishing. I liked this side of her, it would have been unreal for me if she hadn't been a bit of a nerve-wreck after all the things she'd been through. The way her condition was described couldn't be more believable, her reactions reflects exactly how a person in her state would react within certain odds. It's not underestimated, it's not exaggerated, it is real. Sometimes I could have strangled her, so I could have Tobias, but a good book induces strong emotions, doesn't it? By the large, I still love them, and I love see them being together. 


Overall rating:     



Installments:



It has one more installment, titled Allegiant, and several prequels. You can learn more about them here.



Other books from the author:



You can find many other books from her here.




There is only one book left, and I already started to read it. It looks good so thus I'd say the next review is coming soon. Off to continue with reading Allegiant, bye.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cassidie!

    First, I wanted to thank you for adding me as a friend on goodreads. I am now following your blog :)

    I have only read Divergent which I absolutely loved and cannot wait to see the movie! However, the end of the third book was completely spoiled for me, so that is why I have hesitated reading books 2 and 3! Not quite sure how I feel about the "shocking" ending of book 3. I know I just need to read the rest of the series, but I guess I am just not ready yet to go through that emotional rollarcoaster! lol

    Anyway, great review! Definitely makes me want to give Insurgent a try!

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mia!

      And I would like to thank you for following me. :)

      I am sorry that it was spoiled for you and I understand, it's not the same now, moreover the end really is a roller-coaster, (I am a very hard person to made cry and yet this book managed to do so) but believe me, it is worth it. Sooner or later, when you are ready. :)

      Thank you, it means a lot. I am quite unsure yet, whether my reviews are informative, well-written, and encouraging to read the certain book, and it is pleasant to hear, that I am kind of on the right way.

      (By the way, I didn't encounter your blog such a long time ago, but I am already a fan of yours. I love your reviews, they are all very well-written and painstaking.)

      Have a nice day,
      Cassidie

      Delete

Share your thoughts! ;)