Who View (4) : S8 E8 - Mummy on the Orient Express

Title: Mummy on the Orient Express
Written by: Jamie Mathieson
Directed by: Paul Wilmshurst
Air Date (UK): 10/11/14


The Doctor is on the most beautiful train in history, speeding among the stars of the future. But a deadly creature is stalking the passengers.

Once you see the horrifying Mummy you only have 66 seconds to live. No exceptions, no reprieve. As the Doctor races against the clock he’s seen at his deadliest and most ruthless. Will he work out how to defeat the Mummy? Start the clock!






BEWARE! THE FOLLOWING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS AS TO MUMMY ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (S8 E8). DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE YET TO SEE THE EPISODE!



After last week's atrocious...Okay, okay, not atrocious. Let's say quite less impressive episode, I enjoyed Mummy on the Orient Express a lot. Being the most anticipated episode of the season, it wasn't that terrific, but still, it was great. 


Are you my mummy?


I've always loved mummies, but all of what I've seen so far, Doctor Who's concept of a mummy won me over the most. It was deadly, suspenseful and interesting. Far away from the usual dead person resurrection story. I mean, who would have expected it to be a former soldier who never got the luxury of passing away in peace? I for sure did not, although the Doctor's method of solving the mystery seemed a bit wobbly to me. Taking away another person's weakness to inject himself with it then have a mere 66 seconds to build up the solution from scratch was a very long shot. Maybe he's willing to die for other people (which is not what has come through with him so far), but without him, they would have been busted. All of them. So yeah, it was luck. A bit of luck overload.



Am I a good person?


No. Episodes ago, Clara didn't know if the Doctor was a good person. Though in the end, she said he was trying to be. Well, as things are right now, not only is he not a good person, but he's not even trying. Or at least, I can't see it. If you do, please let me know, I would love to think he is making endevours in that direction. However, for now, I stick with my opinion as in Mummy on the Orient Express, he was utterly ruthless. In the beginning, it looked as if he cared, but as the episode progressed, he was becoming more and more cruel. Lying is one thing. I could have overlooked that for him. But ensnaring someone to use her for scientific purposes is untolerable. It might have been their only option, and he might not have been able to help her so might as well exploit the opportunity, but he did all of it without a hint of compassions and that astonished me. Instead of heading toward being a decent alien, what he seemed to be aspiring, he's heading toward the bowels of the dark side and I don't like it. Yeah, be dark, but don't be a brute.



All's well that ends well


If you've ever read a review of mine, you may know how much of a Clara fan I am. She's the first companion I could accept let alone be fond of since Rose. (You could say I wasn't up to the clouds when she left.) Hence, you may guess how I felt when Clara started ramble about her wobble. That single act made the rest of my day, 

I'd dreaded it wouldn't happen, because despite knowing Jenna Coleman is not going to leave until Christmas, they was so not on terms. Yes, the Doctor ran at once when Clara told him she was in trouble, but she could hardly got the words out, he was rambling on and on, not letting her speak. However, from the beach part, I loved what I saw in the aspect of the two of them.



Overall


It most likely won't be my favorte episode of the season or of the who, but it was a grand relief after Kill the Moon and it was a dandy one as it is, So yaay! :D


B-


Are you happy that Clara is "back"? Do you think it will case problems for her with Danny? Let me know, I'm very curious what your ideas are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ;)