Who View (5) : S8 E11 & S8 12 - Dark Water & Death In Heaven

Title: Dark Water
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Rachel Talalay
Air Date (UK): 11/01/14

In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere, plans have been drawn. Missy is about to come face to face with the Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming... 'Death is not an end', promises the sinister organisation known only as 3W - but, as the Doctor and Clara discover, you might wish it was.




Title: Death in Heaven
Written by: Steven Moffat 
Directed by: Rachel Talalay
Air Date (UK): 10/25/14

With Cybermen on the streets of London, old friends unite against old enemies and the Doctor takes to the air in a startling new role. Can the mighty UNIT contain Missy?

As the Doctor faces his greatest challenge, sacrifices must be made before the day is won.





BEWARE! THE FOLLOWING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS AS TO DARK WATER (S8 E11) AND DEATH IN HEAVEN (S8 E12). DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE YET TO SEE THE EPISODE!


SERIOUSLY. IT'D BE MAJOR SPOILING.


I didn't review Dark Water last week not only because I kind of disappeared (more about it later), but because I've always meant to review the two of them together. Dark Water and Death in Heaven are basically one episode so I'll handle them as such.

Without further ado, I'll just go ahead and say it; this was, in my opinion, the best episode of the season. Best of the characters, best pacing, utmost action... However, it was far from being the best episode, or even the best finale out of all. Which, again in MY opinion, goes to whole season 8. It's not that I don't like Capaldi, heaven forbid. I do have some issues to hold against the script writing though. But more about it later.

I'll tell you how this will look like since I understand that this is getting a tad confusing.

  1. I do a short review about the finale part 1 and 2 melded.
  2. I place it on a top list of all season finales.
  3. I do a quick rehash of season 8.
  4. I rank the episodes of season 8.



Let's get started!


Dark Water & Death in Heaven review


In many aspects I adored both Dark Water and Death in Heaven. In some I didn't. I believe it's normal. It's very rare when every last detail of a TV show, movie or even a book suits. However, in this case, that tiny thing which I wasn't fond of not only took some enjoyment away, but also riled me up quite a bit.

For once, to get off with the good, I appreciated the characters the best in these two. I think, Clara was great. Finally, she resembled to her Impossible Girl self, ballsy and even in the middle of such a great deal of grief, living. In whole season 8, she seemed off and different. I'd go as far as saying helpless and irrelevant. Which being a Clara-fan pains me much. I never wanted to accept it when others have stated it, but I can't overlook the evidence; Danny appeared in this season and Clara changed in a bad way. Danny gets gone and Clara is likable again. I understand that people sometimes becomes different under the influence of other. Nevertheless, it shouldn't mean becoming an utterly different person. Losing our confidence, moxy and the capability of fending for ourselves. It's not his fault, though, nor is it Samuel's. No, he wasn't a bad Danny. If I had to, I'd blame it on the writing. That's all.

The Doctor was, too, in his brightest. Finally, he discovered who he really is and I like who he turned out to be. I just wish it had happened half a season ago. I would have lead to some great ClaraX12 moments.

Secondly, I was, for the first time in season 8, totally and fully pleased with the pacing. Not slow, not uneven, not rushed; perfect. Action all along, or at least something relevant happening. Thank you.

On the other hand, I feel like it's not even about drama or feeling anymore, but only crashing our emotions. Killing off people we dote on in succession is NOT drama. It is an exaggerated soap opera phenomenon and the best possible way to alienate the audience. Want to make us cry? Do something sad, but SENSIBLE. Murdering people like flies in NOT on that friggin' category, okay?Rose's departure was harrowing, but beautiful and contenting. Ever since Moffat all I feel is hurling our emotions and fandom love back and forth. Thank you for hearing out my hurt rant.

Now, let's see the top list


1. Doomsday
2. The Name of the Doctor
3. The Parting of the Ways
4. Journey's End
5. Death in Heaven
6. Last of the Time Lords
7. The Bing Bang
8. The Wedding of River Song


Season 8 Rehash


All together, this was one of the worst seasons in terms of script writing if not the worst. Virtually every episode feel flat for me apart from the finale and Clara was just out of it. I regret that Peter Capaldi's first season happened to be like this as I'm deeply impressed with his acting skills. Furthermore, I don't mind the older Doctor with the darkest era. If only it was indeed dark and not merely a carrion pool. Sorry, for the expression, but I'm still galled and probably will remain that way for a while. All in all, get it together, Moffat, I want to see Capaldi participate in something otherworldly. But something awesome will suffice. Just kidding. Kind of.


1. Death in Heaven
2. Dark Water
3. Listen
4. Deep Breath
5. Into the Dalek
6. The Caretaker
7. The Mummy on the Orient Express
8. Flatline
9. In the Forest of the Night
10. Time Heist
11. Robot of Sherwood
12. Kill the Moon



How would you rate season 8?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! ;)